An error occurred today while playing League of Legends that affects the overall gameplay. When users try to update the game to get new content, they are greeted with an error message stating that “an unspecified error occurred” and that the update failed.
It also suggests checking the log files. However, we know how useful log files are. Therefore, we ignored all of this and decided to make specific fixes that will completely solve the League of Legends problem.
What is the reason for League of Legends not updating?
The main reason for this error is the update bug that led to this error. In addition, some patch updates can also cause this error.
In most cases, this can be very frustrating. We have found that there can be several reasons why the game does not update. They include patch updates, which means that if you apply a new patch, you may have one or more corrupted files in your game libraries. It could also be that your graphics driver is not updated.
If you’re one of those who have run into this problem, look no further, because you’re on the right page. So, let’s start with our troubleshooting guide.
How to repair the League of Legends Won’t Update error?
Temporarily disable your antivirus program
It’s common knowledge that some antivirus tools get in the way of playing online games. As a result, the antivirus program can block the connection to the game servers and interfere with the update process.
If the above solutions didn’t work, disable the antivirus program before running League of Legends and then run the update.
However, in some situations, you may need to uninstall the antivirus program before running the update.
Warning: The antivirus program is an important program for your system. Instead of completely disabling it, we recommend using one that does not affect LoL.
Reinstalling League of Legends
Reinstalling the game is one of the best options if you’re having problems with updates.
Reinstalling will automatically give you the latest version of the game, which will eliminate the update problem.
Changing the update client
- Navigate to the League of Legends folder.
- Click on C:Riot GamesLeague of Legends.
- Find the User.cfg file and open it with notepad.
- Change the following character entry LeagueClientOptIn = yes to LeagueClientOptIn = no (Warning: it is important to make sure you entered the correct characters).
- Save and exit.
- Start your game.
Using an executable patch to start the game
Using an executable patch to update the game is actually better than an automatic update. And there are several sites that offer such patches. In addition to saving time, the patch can easily be removed if something goes wrong.
To do this, the game developers have included a patch in the game file. It can be used as an alternative when game updates don’t work properly.
- Open the League of Legends game folder.
- Click on the Rad folder.
- In the drop-down list, click Projects.
- Select lolpatcher and click on releases.
- Select the folder with the files that have numbers in their names.
- Select Deploy.
- This will take you to your deployment folder, where you will see the executable file LoLPatcher.exe.
- Run the executable file.
- This will update your game to the latest version of League of Legends.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Reinstall League of Legends.
- Disable antivirus software.
- Use an executable patch.
- Change the update client.
- Use a VPN.
- Go to "Applications", right-click or Ctrl + click on the League of Legends app and select "View Package Contents".
- Go to Content -> LoL and click on "Play League of Legends".
- The custom kernel will then launch on your taskbar and start updating the patch.
League of Legends may not install if you don't have administrator access to your computer or if something is interfering with your network connection. If your version of Windows needs to be updated, you may have trouble installing League.
When you reinstall, you will automatically get the latest version of the game, which eliminates the update problem.