Stereo Mix is an option that allows the user to record audio output from the computer. This can be very useful for desktop recording sessions. However, a problem can occur when using Stereo Mix. For some users, Stereo Mix may not work even when all the options are enabled.
In some cases, you will see the stereo mix bar move during recording, but the recording will contain no sound. In other cases, the stereo mix may not move at all. The problem may occur out of nowhere, for example, if you were successfully using the stereo mix the day before the problem occurred.
What causes Stereo Mix to fail?
There are several reasons why you may be having problems with Stereo Mix. There may have been a problem with the settings or the application. This is the case when you hear sound from the computer, but the recording does not play. However, if you don’t hear anything at all, there may be a problem with the driver or the cable connection.
In general, this problem is not very serious and can be easily solved. You don’t need to be a technical genius to know how to fix Stereo Mix. Read on to learn about all the methods to fix this problem so you can start recording audio again.
How to repair the problem of Stereo Mix not working?
Update the audio driver
- Type devmgmt.MSC in the Run window and press Enter to open Device Management.
- Double-click the audio, video, and game controllers to expand them.
- Right-click on the sound card driver and select Update Driver.
- A pop-up window will appear asking “How do you want to check for driver software?”
- Select Automatically check for driver software updates and wait for a while.
- When the process is complete, close the Driver Update window.
Enable and set the default stereo mix
- Press Win + R to open the Run window, then type mmsys.CPL and press OK to open the sound settings.
- Click the Record tab. If there is no Stereo Mix option, you must right-click in an empty area of the window and check the Show Disabled Devices and Show Unconnected Devices boxes.
- Right-click on Stereo Mix and select Enable.
- Right-click again and select Set as Default Device.
- Then click Apply and OK.
Uncheck the Listen to this device option
- Open the Audio Settings and select the Record tab.
- Right-click on the microphone and select Properties.
- Switch to the Listen tab and uncheck the Listen to this device option.
- Click Apply and then OK to confirm.
Turn off the microphone
- Open Audio Settings and click the Record tab as shown in Method 1.
- Right-click on the microphone and select Mute.
- Click Apply, then OK to confirm your changes.
Frequently Asked Questions
If stereo mixing doesn't work in Windows 10, it may be because your speaker is disabled by your playback devices. Open the sound settings and select the Playback tab. Right-click the default playback device, Speaker, and select Properties. Click the Levels tab and mute audio and microphone. Now click the Apply button and select OK.
- Turn on Stereo Mix and set it to default.
- Turn off the microphone.
- Adjust the microphone/sound volume.
- Do not use an HDMI audio device.
- Uncheck Listen to this device.
- Advanced settings for Realtek Audio.
- Update/install the audio driver.
If Stereo Mix doesn't work with your headphones or speakers, in most cases it's due to settings. It is possible that the program is not activated at all. Go to the Record tab and right-click on an empty area of the window.