If you try to install OneDrive on your Windows 10 computer and get a message that OneDrive cannot be installed, error code 0x80040c97, this article should help you. In this article, we will list the possible causes and suggest the most appropriate solutions to the problem.
When you encounter this OneDrive error, you will see the following complete error message.
- Microsoft OneDrive setup
- OneDrive cannot be installed
- The downloaded file may be corrupted or there may be a problem with the certificates on your PC. Download and reinstall OneDrive or find the following error code on the Answers.microsoft.com forums.
- (Error code: 0x80040c97)
If you encounter this problem, feel free to try our recommended solutions below at random and see if that helps solve the problem.
Download the latest version of OneDrive
Be sure to download the latest version of OneDrive software from Microsoft’s official website. This will definitely help you reduce the amount of malware or adware in the software, which can cause many problems on your computer that can occur when using third-party apps downloaded from unofficial sources.
After downloading, try installing the OneDrive software as an administrator on your Windows 10 system to allow access to all user accounts. Also, be sure to install it on a drive with enough free space.
To reset OneDrive, you need to press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box. Type the following command in Run and press Enter:
% localappdata% MicrosoftOneDriveonedrive.exe / reset
The OneDrive icon in the notification should disappear and reappear. This may take a few minutes. If you don’t see the OneDrive icon after a few minutes, you can open Run and then run the following command:
% localappdata% MicrosoftOneDriveonedrive.exe
Reactivate the Windows Update service
If none of the above methods work for you, use the Services UI to disable and enable the Windows Update Center service. Basically, the Windows Update function will restart. You can then check for Windows updates normally. It is also possible that your Windows operating system is not updated to the latest version. For this reason, OneDrive cannot be installed due to a bug or security concerns. To do this:
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Now type services.msc and press Enter to open Services.
- Then find the Windows Update service and double-click it.
- In Type, click Stop.
- Press Windows + R again to open the Run dialog box.
- Type% windir% \ SoftwareDistribution \ DataStore and press Enter to open Windows Explorer and specify the actual location.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all files or folders, and press Delete to delete everything.
- When you’re done, go back to the services user interface and start the Windows Update service.
- Finally, restart your computer to change the effects.
Install an older version of OneDrive.
If resetting and reinstalling OneDrive still doesn’t solve the problem, OneDrive and the Windows 10 version may not be compatible.
There have been many complaints about the new version of OneDrive causing errors. If this is the case, you can download and install an older version of OneDrive to see if the problem is resolved. Version 19.152.0801.0008 is considered the most stable version of OneDrive.