Avast Bank Mode is an Avast Secure Browser feature that you can use when you install any Avast antivirus software. Bank Mode provides a virtual desktop that can properly clean and protect your computer on a real PC.
Bank Mode virtual desktops help protect your personal information by preventing third-party applications from introducing malicious scripts, recording keystrokes, and taking screenshots.
We recommend using Bank Mode whenever you want to visit a banking site or make an online payment.
In the following IR Cache article, I will share my method for troubleshooting avast banking mode. Before that, let’s discuss the cause of Avast`s Bank Mode failure on Windows 10.
What are the reasons why Avast Bank Mode doesn’t work on Windows 10?
Avast Bank Mode may not work due to an outdated version of Avast Secure Browser or Avast Antivirus. Moreover, a corrupt installation of Secure Browser or Windows can also cause the mentioned error.
The problem occurs when the user tries to start Banking mode but fails (in some cases, the PC hangs). When starting banking mode, a gray/white/black window is displayed (no text entry option) that is unresponsive, or a blank screen is displayed with no browser option.
Restart the system and network equipment before proceeding with the solutions.
How to Troubleshoot Avast Bank Mode not working in Windows 10
Make sure the Bank Mode extension is enabled
There is an extension in the Avast Secure Browser settings that refers to Bank Mode. It is enabled by default but can be disabled after an update. If the extension is disabled, this mode may not work properly. Therefore, you must make sure that the extension is enabled.
- Open Avast Secure Browser and click the three dots icon to open the menu.
- Click on Advanced Tools, then select Extensions.
- You’ll see all your extensions on a new page. Just scroll down the page to find the Avast Bank Mode extension and make sure it’s enabled.
- If the extension is not on the list, you can click the button next to Developer Mode to see all pre-installed extensions.
Reinstall Avast Secure Browser
Secure Browser installation may be corrupted. To fix the problem, you need to reinstall it.
- Simply uninstall Secure Browser completely.
- Download the latest version from the official website and install it following the instructions on the screen.
- After reinstalling Avast Bank Mode should work properly.
Update Avast Secure Browser and Avast Antivirus
Likely, the Avast Bank Mode issue is not working if your Avast Antivirus or Avast Secure Browser is outdated. Updating to the latest version may solve the problem.
- Launch the application.
- Click the menu in the upper right corner and select Settings.
- Go to General -> Update and click FIND UPDATES under Applications (not under Virus Definitions).
- To update your Avast Secure Browser, simply click on the three dots icon, then on Help and About Avast Secure Browser -> About Avast Secure Browser.
- Your browser will then automatically check for the latest available updates.
- After updating both versions, you can restart your browser and see if the issue of Avast Banking Mode not working has been resolved.
Using the taskbar icon
Some users have been able to open bank mode using the Avast Antivirus icon in the system tray. It’s not a complete solution, but it allows Avast Bank Mode to work immediately. So you might as well give it a try too.
- Simply right-click on the Avast Antivirus icon in the system tray.
- Select Run Banking Mode from the drop-down menu.
- You can then check if this browsing mode is working properly in your Avast Secure Browser.
Frequently Asked Questions
Avast Bank Mode may not work due to an outdated version of Avast Secure Browser or Avast Antivirus. Also, a corrupted Secure Browser or Windows installation can cause the mentioned error.
Right-click the Avast Antivirus icon in the notification area of the Windows taskbar and select Run in bank mode. Open the Avast Secure Browser and click the green Security and Privacy Center icon on the right side of the address bar. Click Open in the Bank Mode pane.
Open Avast Secure Browser and go to the ⋮ Menu (three dots) -> New Bank Mode window. Right-click the Avast Antivirus icon in the notification area of the Windows taskbar and select Run in bank mode.
Most likely, the Avast Bank Mode issue will not work if your Avast Antivirus or Avast Secure Browser is not updated. Updating to the latest version may solve the problem.