Prototype 2 is an open-world adventure video game developed by Radical Entertainment. This exciting game can also be played on a PC. However, users sometimes encounter problems with this game. If this game crashes when running on your Windows device, read on and apply the fixes listed below.
The cause of Prototype 2 crashing when running on a Windows 10 PC
Hyperthreading and MultiThreading: If you are using an AMD or Intel processor with Hyperthreading or MultiThreading enabled by default, this is most likely the cause of the game crashing. In this case, you need to go into the BIOS or EUFI settings and disable this option.
Game file inconsistency: If you run the game via Steam, you should check the game’s integrity via Steam and see if you find any inconsistencies. Several users who have encountered the same problem have confirmed that after performing this action, the game eventually launches normally.
Minimum requirements not met: If this problem occurs on a very old configuration, the game may hang due to insufficient power from your GPU or CPU or insufficient memory. Check the minimum requirements to make sure this is not the case.
Conflicting HID-compatible control drivers: Prototype 2 was developed before the Windows 10 era, so it doesn’t know how to use the new control drivers. Also, if you leave these drivers enabled, the game may crash. Therefore, it is best to use Device Manager to disable these drivers while playing the game.
How to fix the Prototype 2 crash when starting your Windows 10 computer
Verify Prototype 2 game files through the Steam client
- Open your Steam library by logging into your account.
- You can find the Prototype 2 game here.
- Right-click on the game and select Properties
- Select the Local Files tab
- Then click Check game files for integrity
- Wait for the process to complete, then restart the game and see if the problem has been resolved or not.
Configuring Discord settings
- Launch Discord -> Click User Settings.
- Select Language and Video from the left sidebar.
- Scroll down a bit and click on Advanced.
- Then uncheck the OpenH264 Video Codec from Cisco System, Inc.
- Then uncheck the Enable High Packet Priority Quality of Service box.
- Now go to the Overlay section.
- You can also disable overlay in the game.
- Then go to the Appearance section.
- Go to the Advanced section.
- Disable hardware acceleration.
- Then reboot your system.
Disable Steam Overlay
- Open Steam on your Windows computer.
- Go to Settings -> Click on the “In-Game” option.
- Click the checkbox to disable “Enable Steam overlay in-game.
- With the checkbox unchecked, click OK.
Deleting Temporary Files
- Press the Windows + R key on your keyboard to open the RUN program.
- Now type %temp% and press Enter.
- You will get several temporary files on the same page.
- Select all the files by pressing Ctrl + A on your keyboard.
- Then press Shift + Del on your keyboard to delete all files.
Sometimes some temporary files cannot be deleted. So leave everything as it is and close the program.
Remove the latest Windows 10 update
Microsoft has released a new update for Windows 10, KB4535996. This particular cumulative update for Windows 10 is quite glitchy and causes many bugs or problems.
- Go to the Start menu -> Click on Settings.
- Then go to Update and Security
- Click on View update history.
- Now, if you see that the update with KB4535996 is already installed.
- Make sure that you have uninstalled it.
- Here at the top of the page, you will see the Uninstall Updates option.
- Click it and select the cumulative update version.
- Right-click on it -> select Uninstall.
- Uninstalling the update may take some time, and your system may automatically reboot.
- Be patient, and you can also reboot your Windows computer manually (if necessary).
Frequently Asked Questions
- Open the Steam client and select Library in the top menu.
- On the Prototype 2 properties screen, select the Local Files tab and click Check game files for integrity.
- Wait until the process completes, then restart your computer and run the game again to see if the problem is solved.
- Your PC configuration is not compatible with the minimum requirements of the game.
- Some game files are missing or corrupted.
- Outdated graphics driver or version of Windows operating system.
- You run too many programs in the background that consume a lot of memory.
- Your current video card drivers are incompatible with the Windows operating system (especially Windows 10).
- Your sound driver conflicts with other devices.
- Remove all running applications from the multitasking panel.
- Reboot your device.
- Make sure there is not too little free space on your device.
- Force pause the game.