Although Windows tries to make the installation or upgrade process as easy as possible, unforeseen problems can occur. A missing or damaged .dll file in Windows (7/8/10) is one such problem. Although many people encounter this problem during an upgrade or installation, it can occur at other times as well.
Sometimes installing or uninstalling drivers or applications can cause this error message, and sometimes it can occur for no apparent reason. .dll files are system files. They are very similar to exe (executable) files. However, they are not directly executed by the user. Instead, various applications on the system use these files to perform various functions.
Here are some common messages related to the missing dciman32.dll error.
- “The dciman32.dll file cannot be found”.
- “The dciman32.dll file is missing”.
- “This application could not be started because dciman32.dll was not found”.
What causes DCIMAN32.DLL to be missing or damaged?
- Damaged or deleted Dciman32.dll file
- Failed installation of the program using the file Dciman32.dll
- Registry problems
- Hardware error
- Malware infection
How to repair missing or damaged DCIMAN32.DLL?
Launch a system-wide scan for viruses or malware
Some errors in dciman32.dll may be caused by a virus or other malware on your computer that corrupted the DLL file. It is even possible that the dciman32.dll error you are experiencing is due to malware masquerading as that file.
Use system restore to undo recent changes to your system
If you suspect that the dciman32.dll error was caused by important file or configuration changes, system restore can solve the problem.
Run the sfc/scannow command
The System File Checker command can replace a missing or damaged copy of dciman32.dll. Since this DLL file is provided by Microsoft, the System File Checker tool should repair it.
Install all available Windows updates
Many service packs and other fixes replace or update some of the hundreds of DLL files distributed by Microsoft on your computer. The file dciman32.dll may be included in one of these updates.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dciman32.dll is a Display Control Interface Manager DLL that allows programs to use hardware acceleration. This means that you may see dciman32. dll in applications that play videos or games.
- Reboot your computer.
- Restore files from the Recycle Bin.
- Use a file recovery program.
- Reinstall the program.
- Use System Restore to restore files.
- Restore using a system file analysis program.
- Scan for viruses and malware.
- Use a registry cleaner.
- Run a system-wide scan for viruses or malware.
- Run the sfc/scannow System File Checker command to replace a missing or corrupted copy of dciman32.
- Use system restore to undo recent changes to the system.
- Reinstall the program that uses dciman32.
If a DLL file is damaged or missing on your system, you may get a message like "The program cannot run because the DLL file is missing; try reinstalling the program to fix the problem." Usually, the easiest way to solve the problem is to reboot your computer.