After purchasing a Windows 10 license, you will need to verify the product key in order to register the operating system. The validation process goes through the Microsoft activation server. If Windows has trouble connecting to the server, activation will fail and an error code will be displayed: 0x87e10bc6.
The full error message reads, “Something has prevented us from connecting to our activation servers. Please wait a few minutes and try again. Error code: 0x87e10bc6”. If you’re having trouble activating your Windows 10 license, here’s how to fix the error.
Update Windows 10
Users reported that installing pending updates on the Windows operating system fixed the problem and activated a successful activation. Check for pending updates for Windows and install them.
- Click Start and select Settings.
- Click Update and security.
- In the Windows Update Center, click Check for updates.
- Allow Windows to download and install any pending updates.
- Reboot the system and try to activate the license again.
Detecting a server problem
If you encounter the 0x87E10BC6 search assistant error when trying to run a game from an XBOX application on your PC, it is recommended that you make sure that the problem is not caused by a non-server issue.
A great place to start is the Microsoft server status page to see if there are currently problems on the important Xbox LIVE server. To do this, follow this link (here) and see if there are currently problems with any services.
Note. Keep in mind that much of this infrastructure is shared on PCs, although this page seems to be geared toward Xbox console users. In the vast majority of cases, PC users will also encounter a server problem on Xbox Live.
You should also look for a dedicated game server when troubleshooting server issues. If the above investigation does not reveal any problems with the Xbox LIVE server, try running another game from the same XBOX application and see if you still get the error code 0x87E10BC6.
If you only see this error code in this game, note that this problem may not have anything to do with XBOX Live – it may be occurring outside of the Microsoft ecosystem. Use services such as Downdetector or IsItDownRightNow to investigate this particular scenario.
Run the activation troubleshooter
The Activation Troubleshooter can be useful if you can’t activate Windows 10. Troubleshooter is used to fix the basic configuration built into Windows 10. Use this app to help you identify activation problems.
Note. To use the activation troubleshooter, you usually need to log in as an administrator.
- Open Settings -> Update and Security.
- In the left pane, select Find Activation.
- Select Troubleshooting and follow the instructions on the screen.
- When the troubleshooting is complete, select Go to Microsoft Store. The Microsoft Store app will launch and you will see a message thanking you for activating Windows 10.
Restore Windows Update Center using a restore point
Windows activation error 0x87e10bc6 may occur after getting a Windows update. In this case, you can try rolling back the update using the system restore point. Alternatively, you can also install the latest update after Microsoft releases a fix for this error code.
- Click on Cortana and enter Restore. From the list of items, select Create Restore Point.
- On the new page, on the System Protection tab, click System Restore, and then click Next to continue.
- On the System Restore window, select the “Choose a different restore point” option and then click Next.
- Select the “Show additional restore points” checkbox.
- Select the restore point you created prior to installing the Windows Update Center. Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Wait for the restore point to undo the update and return your system to the state in which it was working properly.