Error code 0xc0000185 often appears when starting a Windows PC, especially after restarting the system. It always appears as a blue screen of death (BSOD) with the text “Your computer requires repair”.
The message may also read, “Boot configuration information to start your computer is missing or contains errors.” Sometimes the error is followed by an error code, such as error code 0xc0000185. The error message clearly indicates that this error is related to boot configuration data (BCD).
The data may be missing some essential information or may have been corrupted. Consequently, the system will only boot when the PC owner is able to restore the missing or corrupted data through corrective action.
What causes error code 0xc0000185? In fact, it is the result of a corrupted file associated with the Windows PC startup function. The files may have been deleted or corrupted in some way. It is also related to malware attacks or hardware failure.
So, how to fix error code 0xc0000185 for boot configuration data? For the above possible reasons, you still may not know how to fix error code 0xc0000185. Don’t worry! You can find solutions to fix Windows error code 0xc0000185 in the content below.
Fix Windows 10 boot configuration data error 0xc0000185
In some rare cases, the warning “Your PC’s boot configuration data is missing or contains errors” with error check 0xc0000185 disappears when the PC owner forces the system to shut down and then turn it back on.
So try turning the computer off and on again and see if you can connect to your desktop. In this case, we highly recommend that you install Mac X9 washer and scan your system with it. This tool has a list of copies of your Windows system files, so it will restore or replace any corrupt or missing startup configuration files.
However, if you’re stuck at the system boot stage with 0xc0000185 error, you can only create a Windows 10 installation media via USB or DVD. Once you’ve created a bootable Windows installation media, follow these steps:
- Insert or insert the Windows 10 installation media and restart your computer.
- Press any key to boot from the installation media.
- Select Language, Time, Currency, and Keyboard / Input Method and click Next.
- Click Restore Computer (do NOT install Windows) and select the type of operating system you want to restore.
- Click Troubleshooting.
- Select Advanced and click Auto Repair or Restore at boot.
- When the system detects the operating system, select the operating system your computer is running on.
- Finally, unplug or remove the bootable DVD media and try to boot your device.
Start restoring your system
- Reinsert the Windows 10 installation media into your device.
- Reboot the operating system.
- When the device boots, you will be prompted to press any key to boot from the installation media. At this point, press any key on your keyboard.
- In the window that appears, select the correct time and keyboard type again.
- Go to Computer Repair and select Troubleshooting.
- In the Troubleshooting window, select Advanced Options.
- Click the System Restore button.
- After system restore is complete, restart your operating system in normal mode and see if you still get error code 0xc0000185.
Disconnect all peripherals
Faulty devices can cause this annoying error code. Disconnect absolutely all devices connected to your computer, including your mouse and keyboard if your device’s configuration allows it.
Now reboot the device and see if the problem persists. If your computer starts normally, it means that one of your peripherals is not working properly and you need to replace it.
To determine the culprit, plug the devices in one by one and check for possible problems.
To start a disk cleanup
- Go to the beginning, type disk cleanup and run the tool.
- Select the hard drive you want to clean, and the tool will show you how much space you can free up.
- Click OK and wait for the process to complete.
Your computer regularly saves temporary files and folders when you browse the Internet. These unnecessary files can cause various problems, including the 0xc0000185 error.