The “Java Platform SE Binary has stopped working” is not an exclusive Windows 10 problem, many Windows 8 users have also reported this problem. What can you do if you encounter this problem? Try these methods provided by IR Cache.
The problem is always accompanied by an error message stating that “the Java Platform SE binary has stopped working”. The problem has caused the program to stop working properly. Windows will close the program and let you know when a solution is available.
This usually happens when you try to open some Java applications and the program you are trying to run stops responding, which you can stop by clicking the “Close Program” button.
If you are looking for a solution to this problem, you have come to the right place. Read the following and you will be able to fix it.
What is the cause of the “Java SE platform binary has stopped working” problem?
In most cases, the problem is caused by a conflict between the video card driver and the Java environment. However, this behavior does not happen with all Java-based applications – only a few programs are reported to end with the “Java(TM) Platform SE Binary has stopped working” error. Minecraft is by far the most common application with this error message.
The most common scenario for the “Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working” error is a conflict between the Java environment and your graphics card driver.
Since most of the graphics driver problems causing this problem have been fixed by the GPU manufacturers, you can probably solve the problem by simply updating the drivers for your particular GPU to the latest version.
Some users report that the problem is caused by a monitoring process that corrupts the installation files during the installation process. The problem is with a monitoring tool called Logitech Process Monitor (lvprcsrv.exe).
One of the causes of this error is the Java cache, which remains on your computer even after uninstalling and reinstalling the software. If you encounter the same problem, you can find some troubleshooting strategies in this article by IR Cache.
Here are some methods that other users have used in a similar situation to fix the “Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working” error. Please follow the troubleshooting guides below in order until you find a repair strategy that fixes the error.
How to fix the “Java Platform SE binary has stopped working” error
- Open the Run window.
- Type MSConfig in the Open from Run field and click OK to open MSConfig.
- First, click the Selective Run radio button.
- Uncheck Load startup objects.
- Check both Load System Services and Use Original Boot Configuration.
- On the Services tab, select Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click Disable All to stop the listed third-party services.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK to close the window.
- In the dialog box that opens, click Restart.
- Then try to start the Java program in which the error occurred after restarting.
- Press the Windows + R key combination to open the Run dialog box.
- Type Appwiz.CPL in the Run text box. Then click OK to open the uninstaller for Windows.
- Then type Java in the search box.
- Select it, and then click Uninstall.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling all Java entries listed under Programs and Features.
- Click the Java download button on the Java website to register the latest installer version.
- Open the Java Setup window to install the Java environment.
- Restart Windows after Java is installed.
Setting Environment Variables
- Open Windows search utility with Windows keyboard shortcut + S.
- Type system info in the search box.
- Click on System to open the window shown in the figure below.
- Click on Advanced System Settings to open the system properties window.
- On the Advanced tab of the System Properties window, click on Environment Variables.
- Then click New under System Variables to open the window shown below.
- Enter _JAVA_OPTIONS in the Variable Name text box.
- Enter -Xmx256M in the Variable Value text box.
- Click OK to close the New System Variable window.
- Click OK in the Environment Variables window.
Frequently Asked Questions
In many cases, it may be due to a graphics driver problem that causes the Java application to fail on a Windows computer. To solve this problem, check the graphics driver installed on your system and update it accordingly.
If the "Java Platform SE binary stops working" problem recurs, it is possible that your video card driver is outdated or corrupt, and there is a conflict between the Java environment and the driver. You should update your video card driver and then see if the problem goes away.
The Java Platform on the PC allows you to run Java applications, websites, and games that need to run in a virtual Java environment, so Java takes up part of the CPU. If you remove it, Java-based websites, applications, and games will not work properly, which is not recommended.
You need to right-click on the JAR file and select Open With from the context menu. Click Select another application, and then select Open with Java(TM) Platform SE Binary. Select the Always to use this application to open the JAR files check box. Click the OK button to close the menu.