The 0xc0000006 Windows error code occurs most often among users who work a lot with Visual Studio. It can also occur in some applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel. This error can occur when the user tries to run an executable script from a network drive, although it can also occur with locally saved executable files.
When the user clicks on the executable file, the application, program or script does not start. Instead, a dialog box is displayed with an error message, which is a variation of the following:
The application failed to start correctly 0xc0000006. This is a STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR error.
What causes the error 0xc0000006 (STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR) message?
- A recurring problem that is contributed by an overprotected anti-virus package or firewall.
- Invalid registry value of AppInst_DLLs
- System corruption
- Windows update in progress.
How to resolve the error message 0xc0000006 (STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR)?
Performing a System File Check (SFC)
Your system may be missing important files that are responsible for running the software. So we ran a Windows tool to find out:
- Open the command line by typing cmd in the search box next to the button in the Start menu.
- Right-click on the command line and select Run as administrator.
- Once the console is open, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Restart your computer after the troubleshooting process is complete.
Changing the Applnit_DLL registry key
Some users have reported that STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR may be due to a non-functioning Applnit_DLL registry key. This is originally designed to log application crashes and system hangs. If Applnit_DLL remains corrupted, some applications will not work. So below we will try to modify the instructions for this value.
- First, press the Windows + R key combination as we did above.
- Type Regedit and press OK.
- In the open window, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWOW6432NodeMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionWindows.
- Find Applnit_DLL and double-click it in the right pane.
- Completely remove the number from the data value and click OK.
- Close the window and reboot the system.
Perform a clean Windows boot
This will ensure that all proprietary software is disabled and will let you know if there is a problem. To perform a clean reboot :
- Press the Windows + R key combination.
- Type MSConfig in the dialog box and click OK to open the boot options.
- Select the selective boot option at the bottom.
- Disable the Load autorun items option.
- Select only the Load system services and Use original boot configuration checkboxes.
- Then go to the Services section and check the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox.
- Now click Disable All. This removes all third-party services from the startup list.
- Finally, click Apply, finish by clicking OK, and in the window that appears, click on the offer to reboot the system.
- Try running the problem program and see if anything has changed.
- If you manage to fix the problem using this method, you need to find and remove the annoying software restricting interaction with other programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
0xc0000006 error in Windows 10 usually occurs when you try to run an executable file from a network volume. If the problem occurs when using third-party antivirus or firewall software, the security package may stop connecting to the network volume due to a false positive.
- Use the SFC tool.
- Use the DISM tool.
- Run the SFC scan in safe mode.
- Run the SFC scan before you start Windows 10.
- Replace files manually.
- Use the system restore tool.
- Reboot Windows 10.
STATUS_IN_PAGE_ERROR is described as follows: "The instruction in XXX indicated storage in YYY. This means that the memory manager should have read the memory from the hard disk, but the hard disk failed.
Open Windows File Explorer, right-click on the drive, and select "Properties". Here select "Tools", then click "Scan". It will scan your hard drive and try to fix any problems or errors and recover corrupt files.