Many users have encountered the error “DLLRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715” in Windows 10. With such a complicated name, it becomes a bit difficult to understand the problem, let alone solve it.
In the following sections, we’ll look at what this error is and how to fix it.
What causes DLLRegisterServer failed (error 0x80070715)?
Windows Update service not working: If you only see this error when Windows Security tries to download a new virus signature, the service that is supposed to perform the download (Windows Update) is probably not working.
Outdated Windows 10 build: It turns out that the Windows Security service can also cause this error if you try to open it because of a missing security update, which is now a mandatory Windows 10 build.
Volume Shadow Copy is disabled: If this problem occurs when trying to use the DllRegisterServer commands from the CMD or Powershell terminal, the error may be caused by the Volume Shadow Copy service is disabled.
Damaged Windows Security application: If you only see this error when trying to run a scan through Windows Security, the application is probably corrupt.
How to fix DLLRegisterServer Failed – error 0x80070715?
Resetting the Windows security application
- Click on the Start menu and look for “Windows Security”.
- Right-click on the application and select Properties.
- Now, when the app settings open, click Reset and the app will be reset.
- Now check to see if the problem occurs again.
Configure Windows Update to start automatically
- Open the services as described in the first method.
- Now find the service called “Windows Update”.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Under “Startup”, change the setting to “Automatic (no delay)”.
- Click OK and reboot the system.
- Now check to see if the problem has been resolved.
- Press the Windows key and I, to open Windows settings.
- Click on Updates and security.
- Click Check for updates and let it download and install all available updates.
Starting the Volume Shadow Copy service
- Press the Windows key and the R key to bring up the Run dialog box.
- Type Services.MSC and press Enter.
- Now scroll down the list of services to find the Volume Shadow Copy service.
- Right-click on it and select Start.