Windows Update Center is used to update Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft programs. Security updates, which are one of the most important services for your operating system, are regularly downloaded and installed by Windows. However, sometimes they can cause errors, which in this situation become a very unpleasant moment. One of these errors is the Windows Update Center error C8000266.
C8000266: Windows Update Center found an unknown error
In this guide, we have discussed some quick fixes to help you solve this problem. So, let’s get started.
Table of Contents:
Run the Windows Update Center troubleshooter
The answer to the causes of the Windows Update Center error code C8000266 has been identified as multiple errors during boot and installation. If this should happen, and you don’t want to get confused, run the Windows Update Center Troubleshooter.
There are two ways to run the troubleshooter. The first is to use Microsoft’s online troubleshooter. You can use Microsoft’s online troubleshooter to fix C800026 and other common errors. How to get started:
- Visit Microsoft’s official Web site to perform online troubleshooting.
- Choose your operating system version from the list. Your options include Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
- Accept or click Yes when prompted to run the Windows Update Center Troubleshooter.
- A list of recommendations and next steps is displayed. Run and work as recommended by the troubleshooter.
Reset Windows Update components manually
- Click Start.
- Type CMD in the search box.
- Right-click CMD and select Run as administrator.
- Close BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and Windows Update Services. To do this, enter the following commands at the command prompt. After entering each command, press ENTER.
- wuauserv net stop
- cryptSvc net stop
- Clear stop bits
- net stop msiserver
Now rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and Catroot2. You can do this by entering the following commands at the command line. After entering each command, press ENTER.
- ren C: \ Windows \ SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C: \ Windows \ System32 \ catroot2 Catroot2.old
Now restart BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this, enter the following commands at the command line. After entering each command, press ENTER.
- wuauserv clean start
- clean start cryptSvc
- Clean start bits
- msiserver clean start
Type exit at the command prompt to close it.
Install Windows Update Center manually
You can proceed to install Windows updates manually if you find that the methods described above don’t work for you. If you have several pending updates with error code C8000266, follow the instructions in the manual update process and remember that this will not fix the root cause of the error. You should know the details of the update you plan to install before you proceed with this procedure. Once you know which update to install, follow these steps:
- Open your browser, find and visit the Microsoft Update Center directory.
- Use the search button in the upper right corner and look for the name of the update that is not working with error code C8000266.
- Use the Windows version information to identify the update
- Click the “Download” button to continue the download.
- Open these updates to manually install the update.
- Reboot your computer and see if the problem is resolved.
C8000266 update error when upgrading Windows 10 is the most common error that occurs due to improper installation or failure to install updates. The above procedures can solve the update problem. You can easily perform the update if an error occurs during the update for any reason.
The above methods are useful and some users already find these solutions very reliable. You will need to back up your data before trying any of the solutions described here. They have also suggested maintaining an active Internet connection when using any of these processes. These processes fix Windows 10 update error C80000266. If you have any questions or comments, leave them in the comment box below.
We hope that the method described above will help you solve this problem.