Valve Corporation announced SteamVR in 2015, the ultimate 360° virtual reality tool for your VR content on Microsoft Windows. SteamVR supports Valve Index, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality headsets and more.
The SteamVR tool now works with several VR headsets, as mentioned above, such as Oculus Rift, Valve Index, HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality headsets and more. The problem here is mostly with the Oculus Rift VR headset. Meanwhile, it’s also reported that this particular error code appears in all versions of the Windows operating system from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
So if you’re having a similar problem with your SteamVR tool and Oculus Rift VR headset, don’t worry. Here we’ve laid out some troubleshooting steps to easily fix the problem. Now, without wasting any more time, let’s move on to the guide below.
Table of Contents:
Reboot your computer
If you’ve never tried this before, perform a simple restart and see if it helps solve the problem. Many affected users have confirmed that a simple restart finally allows them to use Occulus with SteamVR tools without encountering the 1114 error.
This is effective in situations where the SteamVR Tools update has just completed. Sometimes when installing an update that actually requires a system restart to complete the process, the installer fails.
Repair the Occulus installation
If a simple restart didn’t work, try repairing your Oculus installation with the tools provided. If you’re using Oculus Rift, the most convenient way to restore the appropriate utilities is to download the Oculus installer file and select the restore option.
To do this, visit the official Oculus setup page and click the “Download Software” button associated with the Oculus product you own.
After downloading the OcculusSetup.exe file, double-click it and click “Yes” under “Account Control” to grant administrator rights.
Once the utility opens, it will automatically detect that the virtual reality tools you need for Oculus are already installed. For this reason, you will be presented with a list of available options. On the “Already Installed” screen, click the “Restore” button.
Then follow the instructions on the screen to complete the restore process and restart your computer at the very end when you receive a success message.
When the next boot is complete, open the SteamVR app again and check if error 1114 still appears.
Update your graphics card drivers
Error 1114 can also be caused by the video card drivers. So, if your laptop has two graphics processors, update the drivers for the discrete and built-in graphics cards. Here’s how to update your video card drivers in Windows 10.
- First, make a note of your operating system platform and video card information. You can check this information by pressing Win + R and typing “dxdiag” in the “Run” text box to open the window right below it.
- Click the “Screen” tab to mark the name of the video card. The System tab contains detailed information about your operating system.
- Then open your graphics card manufacturer’s website in your browser.
- Now open the Drivers or Downloads section of the site.
- If the site has menus, select your graphics card and platform from the drop-down menus. You can also enter your graphics card in the search box on the website.
- Select this option to download the latest driver for your graphics card that is compatible with your platform.
- After downloading the driver, open the folder where you saved the driver in Explorer.
- Right-click the driver installer and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
- You can then select the selective or quick install options in the installer window to add the new driver to Windows.
Update the Windows operating system and the Oculus software.
Running an older version of Windows on your computer can cause a lot of errors, especially with new software and technology like this. Also, it’s never a bad idea to keep your operating system up to date with the latest bug fixes and patches.
Also, your Oculus software may be out of date. If your Windows operating system or Oculus software is outdated, you are guaranteed to encounter these software bugs.
Please note that it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours to update any of these applications, depending on the size of the update and the speed of your Internet connection. When you update your Windows operating system, major updates may require you to reboot your computer.
You can update your Windows operating system as follows:
- Open the “Start” menu and look for “updates.” Click the “Check for updates” preference bar.
- Your screen should clearly indicate if an update is available. Simply select Download here and start updating your operating system.