RDP error code 0x204 is a remote desktop connection problem, which most often occurs when a user tries to connect to a Windows remote desktop from macOS, Android, or other operating systems, but fails due to driver issues or security restrictions. The detailed error message looks like this:
We were unable to connect to the remote computer. Make sure the computer is turned on, connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.
Error code: 0x204
Although a remote desktop is a reliable tool that allows users to connect to a PC and access applications, files, and network resources, sometimes things don’t work the way they should.
To fix this RDP error 0x204, you can follow the steps below in our solution.
What is the cause of Remote Desktop error 0x204
One of the most common reasons for error code 0x204 when trying to access files via Remote Desktop protocol from a Windows operating system is that Remote Desktop is not enabled in the system properties.
However, this problem may also be caused by your firewall (since the process used by Remote Desktop is exploited by many malicious programs). In this case, you need to configure an exclusion rule, disable real-time protection, or remove the third-party security package completely to solve the problem.
In some cases, the problem may be related to temporary files stored in the Group Containers folder. If this scenario applies, you can solve the problem by deleting the UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.rdc folder.
To fix Remote Desktop error code 0x204
Reinstall the Remote Desktop application
- Open Microsoft Remote Desktop application
- Click the drop-down menu button next to the name (for example, My Laptop) of the remote desktop connection that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
- After deactivating the application, try installing it again.
Check if new hardware or drivers are installed
- Run the hardware diagnostics provided by the system manufacturer to determine which hardware component is failing.
- Uninstall or replace the driver you just installed.
Mapping a port to connect to a remote desktop
- Open a command prompt and type IP config
- Connect to the router and find the Port Forwarding section. In this section, you need to forward TCP port 3389 to the IP address you found earlier.
Use another remote desktop application
Built-in Windows programs are fine up to a point, and they’re convenient because they’re free. However, once you start having problems with them, you should consider a more stable and specialized program.
Check the firewall
- Go to the Control Panel and go to System and Security.
- Click Allow application through Windows Firewall, which is located under Windows Defender firewall.
- Locate Remote Desktop and check the box to allow it on private and public networks.
Check the remote desktop log
- Press the Windows + R key (to run the Run application).
- Type SystemPropertiesRemote.exe and click OK.
- Click the Remote tab in System Properties.
- In the Remote Desktop section, select Allow remote connections to this computer – Allow remote connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with network-level authentication (recommended).
- This option provides a more secure authentication method that can better protect your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the most common problems causing error code 0x204 is that the Remote Desktop Protocol is not enabled on the Windows machine. In this case, you can solve the problem by enabling it manually from the system properties screen and allowing network connections.
The problem 0x204 is caused by an outdated software driver or incorrect connection or security settings. You can try resetting the network settings on your Mac and see if that helps.
- Update Windows.
- Change your firewall settings.
- Check your permissions.
- Allow connection to remote desktop.
- Reset your documents.
- Check your RDP service status.
RDP error code 0x204 is a remote desktop connection problem that usually occurs when a user tries to connect to a remote Windows computer from macOS, Android, or another operating system, but fails due to driver issues or security restrictions. Make sure that the computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.