One-finger and two-finger scrolling is a useful touchpad feature. Two-finger scrolling is a standard feature on Macs, but it can also be set up on laptops (even if it’s not a Mac). For example, if you use a Synaptics touchpad, you will notice that two-finger scrolling is supported by the Synaptics touchpad.
This feature is usually disabled by default, so you must manually enable it. If two-finger scrolling is enabled but not working, there may be a problem with the touchpad drivers. The drivers may be corrupt or malfunction and the device may not work properly.
In this guide, we’ll explain the problems with the two-finger scrolling feature and point out possible solutions.
Why doesn’t two-finger scrolling work?
The problem can occur after a recent update or upgrade, causing the touchpad driver to become incompatible with Windows 10.
Sometimes this problem is due to the fact that the two-finger scrolling option is disabled in the mouse settings; enabling these options solves the problem.
But if it doesn’t, don’t worry, follow the guide below to fix the problem of two-finger scrolling not working in Windows 10.
How to fix the problem of two-finger scrolling not working?
Enable the feature in your mouse properties
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard. The Run utility will appear.
- Type “main.cpl” and press OK. This will open the mouse properties in a pop-up window.
- Click the Touchpad tab (or Device Settings if there is no tab) and click Settings. The properties window opens.
- Expand the “Multi-Finger Gestures” section and make sure that the box next to “Scroll with two fingers” is checked. If the box is blank, just click it to put a checkmark in the box.
- Click Apply, and then close the window by clicking OK.
- Restart the computer and check if the scrolling problem is resolved.
Updating the touchpad driver
The drivers are the backbone of your system. In addition, the touchpad has a driver that provides its functionality, which means that if the driver is corrupt or outdated, it can cause problems. To fix the problem of two-finger scrolling not working in Windows 10, you need to update the touchpad drivers.
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard simultaneously to bring up the “Run” utility.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes, then press OK. This will launch the Device Manager in a separate window.
- Expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” category.
- Right-click on the touchpad and choose Update Driver from the pop-up menu. Follow all instructions on the screen to update the driver.
- After the update is successful, restart your laptop and check to see if two-finger scrolling now works.
Activating from the Settings app
- Open the Settings app by clicking the gear icon in the Start menu.
- You can also open the app by holding down the Windows and I keys on your keyboard.
- Click the Devices tile.
- Select Touchpad from the menu on the left side of the page.
- Find the “Scroll and Zoom” section.
- Here, make sure the Slide two fingers to scroll checkbox is selected.
- If the box is blank, just click it to turn it on.
- Check to see if two-finger scrolling is working properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Open the Control Panel.
- Browse by category and click Hardware and Sound.
- Under Devices and Printers, click Mouse.
- Under Devices, click the Device Settings tab.
- Highlight Synaptics TouchPad and click Settings.
- Expand Multi-finger Gestures and check the Two-Finger Scroll checkbox.
- Click the Apply button.
- Go to Settings -> Devices -> Touchpad.
- Under Scroll and zoom, select Scroll with two fingers to turn on two-finger scrolling.
To solve the problem of scrolling not working on the touchpad, you can also try changing the mouse pointer. In the Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound -> Mouse. On the Pointer tab, under Scheme, select a different pointer from the drop-down menu. You can change the mouse pointer to a solid black pointer.
- Open the Activities panel and start typing Mouse and Touchpad.
- Click Mouse and Touchpad to open the panel.
- In the Touchpad area, make sure that the Touchpad switch is on.
- Turn on the two-finger scroll switch.