Steam is a video game distribution platform used worldwide to buy, download and play games. It is known for its well-structured, secure, and user-friendly environment that allows users to perform many tasks related to their favorite game on one platform. Since its release, Steam developers have worked hard to fix all the problems reported by users.
Recently, users reported an error message saying: “An error occurred while submitting a trade offer. (20)” and would not allow the player to send a trade offer to another player. After thoroughly reviewing the various user reports and the solutions they have chosen to circumvent this problem, we have presented several effective solutions that will allow you to fix this error on your computer.
What causes the error message “An error occurred while sending your exchange offer, please try again later” in Steam?
Steam Guard is disabled: If Steam Guard is disabled, you may need to enable it again and wait 15 days after enabling it to create a trading URL and make trade offers.
You are banned from trading: Sometimes a merchant may be banned from trading temporarily or indefinitely. You can contact Steam support to learn more about your ban.
Suspicious Steam profile: If Steam classifies your Steam account as suspicious, you will not be able to trade. To get a trusted account, you must have a game purchased within 30 days to a year of creating your account.
Payment method is new: If you recently added a payment method to your Steam account to purchase games, you may have to wait 7 days before you can start redeeming.
Password was recently changed: If you recently changed your Steam account password, you will have to wait 5 days before you can make Steam trade-in offers.
You signed in from a new device: If you signed in to your Steam account from a new device, you will have to wait 15 days for the Steam trade-in URL to be reactivated in your Steam profile.
Item not available: You cannot make a Steam trade-in offer if you do not have the item you want to trade-in.
Account has been deactivated: If you deactivated your Steam profile, you must be active for 2 months to access your trade-in link. You will have to wait 30 days before you can create another trading URL through Steam.
How to resolve the “An error occurred while submitting your trade offer, please try again later” message in Steam?
Enable the Steam Guard
It is important to enabling Steam Guard before attempting to trade items. The Guard must be activated for at least 15 days before the user can trade items on the marketplace. If your guard is disabled, activate it by following these steps and then wait 15 days to start trading.
- Start Steam and log in to your account.
- Click on the “Steam” button in the upper left corner.
- Click on “Settings” and select “Account” in the left area.
- Click the “Steam Guard Account Security Management” button.
- Make sure that one of the “Get Steam Guard codes” options is enabled and the “Disable Steam Guard” option is disabled.
- Wait 15 days after activating Steam Guard and see if the problem persists.
Contact the Steam Support
Once you’ve verified that the error is not caused by the above causes, it’s best to contact support to resolve the issue.
- To do this, start Steam and click on “Help”.
- Select “Steam Support” and specify the exact problem and error you encountered.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Use your browser to process the request instead of the Steam client.
- Make sure the recipient does not have a full backpack.
- Click "Accept" a few times and be patient.
- Restart the Steam Client.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Steam client.
- Open Steam (either in the client or online).
- Hover your mouse over the top of your persona name.
- Tap on Inventory.
- Tap on Trade Offers.
- Click on New Trade Offer.
- Select the friend to whom you want to make the trade offer.
- Sign in to the Steam client and open your inventory.
- Click on the "Trade Offers" button on the right side.
- Click on "Who can send me trade offers.
- Your trade URL can now be copied and pasted wherever you want.
- Open Steam (either via the client or the web).
- Hover over your persona name at the top of the page.
- Tap on Inventory.
- Tap on Trade Offers.
- Tap on New Trade Offer.
- Select the friend you want to trade with.
- Tap the items you want to trade and drag them from both inventories into the exchange boxes.