Players report that Discord voice chat stops working from time to time. If you encounter the same problem, don’t worry. We have prepared some quick solutions for you. Read on to find out which ones.
What causes the ‘Discord Voice Chat Not Working’ error?
- This problem can probably be caused by an old, incorrect, or missing audio driver. You can easily fix this problem by updating the audio driver.
- It can also be caused by incorrect Discord language settings (input mode, OpenSL SE, etc.). In addition, this error can also be caused by an outdated Discord application.
How can I repair the ‘Discord Voice Chat Not Working’ problem?
Turn on microphone access
- To access the Windows settings, use the following key combination: Windows + I.
- Go to the Privacy section.
- Scroll down the left pane and click on Microphone under Application Permissions.
- In the right pane, under Allow apps to access the microphone, set the switch to ON.
Resetting language settings
- Use the following key combination: Windows + S.
- Enter Discord and open the first result.
- Go to the user settings (in the lower-left corner, marked with a gear icon).
- Select Voice and Video on the left sidebar.
- Scroll down to the right side. You should see the Reset Language Settings button. Click on it.
- To quickly test the microphone, scroll up the page and click Let’s Check under Mic Test.
- Press the Windows key, type Discord, then click on the first result.
- Open the Discord settings (at the bottom left of the window, indicated by a gear wheel).
- In the left sidebar, select Voice and Video again.
- On the right side, you see the input mode and two options. Check the box to the right of Push to Talk.
- You need to assign a button that will activate the microphone whenever you want to use it.
- Under Shortcut, draw the key assignment and press the desired key.
- The next time you want to use your microphone in Discord, you will need to press that button.
Disconnect and reconnect
- Press the Windows key, type Discord, then click the first result.
- In the Discord app, click on the user settings icon (the gear icon in the bottom right corner).
- Then scroll down and click on Logout.
- A new window will appear. Click Logout again.
- After logging out, restart Discord and log in with your login information.
Frequently Asked Questions
An outdated app can cause problems with in-app voice chat. In this context, updating the Discord app to the latest build/beta version may solve the problem. For an example, we'll walk you through the upgrade process on your Android phone.
- Restart Discord
- Update Discord
- Reboot your device
The fastest way to update Discord on your computer is to use the Discord refresh button. If Discord hangs or has other problems, press Ctrl + R to update the entire application.