Rundll32.exe is a Windows 10 application that is used to run functions stored in common DLL files. It is a valid part of the Windows operating system and is usually located under \Windows\System32\rundll32.exe. However, some malicious programs try to use the same name and run from a different directory, which usually causes problems on your computer.
In this final part of our troubleshooting series, we will look at the problem of high hard drive and CPU load by the Windows Rundll32 host process.
What causes the high Windows Rundll32 host processor and hard drive load?
- If you are having problems right after installing Windows 10, some Windows processes may be causing high CPU and hard drive load due to Rundll32.exe.
- Many users have reported that after installing Google App Engine, hard disk and CPU load increases significantly due to the rundll32.exe process.
- Many users have reported that the ProgramDataUpdater task under the Microsoft App Experience category was causing high CPU/hard drive load on their computer.
How to solve the problem of high CPU and hard disk load by the Windows Rundll32 host process?
Turn off telemetry services
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type services.MSC and click OK.
- In the Services window, find the Connected User Experience service.
- Right-click on the service and select Properties.
- Click Stop to stop the service.
- Set the startup type to Disabled.
- Click Apply and OK to save your changes.
Uninstalling the Google App Engine
- Press the Windows + R key.
- Type Appwiz.CPL and click OK.
- In the control panel, find Google App Engine.
- Click the Uninstall button. Confirm the action by clicking Uninstall/Yes.
- Restart your computer after uninstalling and check if the situation has improved.
Uninstall the Lenovo dependency package
- Press the Windows key, type Control, and open the Control Panel.
- Go to Programs and select Programs and Features.
- Right-click Lenovo Dependency Package and select Uninstall.
- Confirm the action by clicking Yes.
- You may need to restart your computer for the changes to be visible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Type "sfc /scannow" and press Enter. Windows will scan all system files (including Rundll32) and restore any corrupted files. Reboot your computer after the scan is complete.
Because there is no way to run a DLL file directly, the rundll32.exe application is simply used to run functions stored in common . dll files. This executable is a valid part of Windows and is usually not a threat.
- Remove third-party browsers.
- Run Chkdsk.
- Disable the cloud protection in Windows Defender.
- Disable the Windows search indexer.
- Disable the Print Spooler service.
- Adjust the visual effects.
- Update the device drivers.
- Run the SFC and DISM.