This message may appear when running a program or game on a Windows computer.
It can either read:
“The program cannot start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to solve this problem.”
“Code execution cannot continue because MSVCP140.dll was not found”. Try reinstalling the application to resolve this issue.”
But don’t worry. We’ll help you get the program back up and running in no time. No need to worry if you encounter this problem. In this article, we will show you how to fix the error message “MSVCP140.dll is missing on your computer”. We have prepared several solutions for you. You can browse through the list until you find the method that suits you.
What causes the “MSVCP140.dll could not be found” error when executing code
There are several reasons why the “MSVCP140.dll missing” error occurs. One possible reason is that the system files are damaged or corrupt, which may be affected by viruses or malware, our solution would be a full system scan with anti-virus software.
The reason why MSVCP140.dll is missing might be because you accidentally deleted the file. As long as you have not used the Shift + Delete key combination, it should be in the recycle garbage can on your computer.
To fix the “Code Execution Cannot Run” error MSVCP140.dll is not found
Run an antivirus scan on your system
Error MSVCP140.dll not found may be due to a virus on your computer that prevents MSVCP140.DLL is found. Thus, you can run a scan of your system for viruses.
To run a full virus scan with Windows Defender :
- Open Preferences and click Refresh and Security.
- Click Windows Security, then in the Protection section, click Protection against viruses and threats.
- Click Scan Settings, then in the new window that appears, select the Full Scan checkbox. Click Scan now.
- Wait for the process to complete, then scan for viruses and malware. If so, use Windows Defender to fix the problem.
- Reboot Windows, then run the program that caused the error to see if it survived.
Perform a clean installation of the program
You can perform a clean installation of the program that caused the error to fix the missing MSVCP140.dll error. Here are the instructions for doing so:
- Press the Windows key and the R key to open the Run dialog box.
- Type appwiz.CPL in the box, then click OK to open Programs and Features.
- Right-click the program that caused the error and select Uninstall. Click Yes.
- Restart your computer and reinstall the program.
- Run the program to see if the error still exists.
Copy the MSVCP140.dll file from another trusted computer.
You can also try copying the MSVCP140.dll file from another trusted computer that has the same operating system as yours and then paste it into your computer. Here are the instructions:
- Find another computer running the same operating system as yours. The versions of the operating system (Windows 10/8/7) and architecture (32-bit/64-bit) must be identical.
- On this computer, open File Explorer, go to C: WindowsSystem32, and copy msvcp140. on the external storage device.
- Paste the copied file into the same location (C: WindowsSystem32) on your own computer.
- Restart the program that caused the error and check that the error is gone.
Install the file MSVCP140.dll
If your computer does not have MSVCP140.dll, the first thing you need to do is to download and install the MSVCP140.dll file.
- Go to the official website to download MSVCP140.dll.
- Find the right file for your system. You need to pay attention to whether the file is 32-bit or 64-bit and what language it uses. We recommend that you download the latest version of the MSVCP140.dll file.
- Install the file MSVCP140.dll, then place it in the Game/Application folder or in the Windows system directory to avoid the “missing MSVCP140.dll” error.
- Restart the program that caused the error to see if the error has disappeared.
Reinstall the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable package
As you know, the MSVCP140.dll file is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable package for Visual Studio 2015. Normally it is installed automatically when you install Windows, but if it is corrupted, you will see the error MSVCP140.dll missing.
Fortunately, you can easily fix this problem by reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. Here are the instructions:
- Go to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 download page, then select the appropriate language. Click Download.
- Select the correct file for your system and click Next.
- Once the MSVCP140.dll file has finished downloading, double-click it and follow the instructions to install it.
- Reboot your system and run the program that caused the error to see if it disappears.
Frequently Asked Questions
As you can see from the error message, the program could not start because the file MSVCP140.dll was missing. The ideal solution to this problem is to restore the file. This can be done using the System File Checker (SFC).
It is possible that corrupted system files on your Windows 7 computer are causing the error message "The program cannot run because MSVCP140.dll is missing from the computer". Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
- Right-click on the Start button, then click on the "Command Prompt (Admin)" button.
- Type "sfc / scan now" without quotes and press Enter.
- After analyzing it, restart your computer and check the problem.
- Re-register the DLL files.
- Install/update the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- Reinstall the application.