Hard Disk Error 303 is a diagnostic error code. Hard Disk 1 Quick 303 is a specific error message indicating that the hard drive has failed, is dead, and must be replaced immediately.
So if you see such an error on your computer with the exact information displayed below on the device screen, back up the failed hard drive immediately and choose the best solution to upgrade your hard drive with a new hard drive or SSD.
“Boot test failed.
Hard Disk 1 Quick 303.”
What causes Hard Disk 1 Quick (303) error?
HP computers include a diagnostic tool that checks your computer’s hardware for errors. When starting the computer, press the ESC key if the HP Splash Screen appears. When the Start menu appears, you can press F2 to access the System Diagnostics tool. This tool will then show you system information and perform a boot test, a burn-in test, and a hard drive test.
However, when you start the HP computer, it may not boot properly and redirect you to System Diagnostics. After running the primary hard drive test, the error message “Fast Hard Drive (303)” appears on the screen.
What does fast hard disk 1 (303) mean? It means that your hard drive may be failing and needs to be replaced immediately.
How to repair the “Hard Disk Drive 1 Fast (303)” error?
This utility is a built-in tool that can identify bad sectors and other block-related mismatches that may be causing Hard Disk 1 Quick (303) errors. It uses unused sectors to replace bad sectors.
Insert installation media that is compatible with your version of Windows, boot your computer, and click Setup as soon as the startup screen appears.
- After successfully booting from the installation media, click on Restore Computer in the lower-left corner of the screen.
- Once on the recovery menu, click first on Troubleshooting and then on Command Prompt in the list of available options.
- Once in the Troubleshooting (restore) menu, click Command Prompt in the list of available options.
- On the extended command line, type the following command to run the CHKDSK scan: CHKDSK X :
(X is just a wildcard. Replace it with the letter of the drive where Windows is installed. In most cases, this will be the letter C.)
- Wait for the process to complete, restart your computer and let it boot normally to see if the Hard Disk 1 Quick (303) error still occurs.
Getting a spare hard drive/SSD
Obviously, you are dealing with a faulty hard drive. And since this is a hardware problem, no method will save you from having to replace the faulty hard drive/SSD.
If your computer is still under warranty, the way is free. Send your computer in for repair, and the drive will be replaced automatically.
However, if your warranty has expired or ended, your only option is to order a replacement. If you have the technical expertise, you can either order a replacement online or take your PC to a certified technician.
Frequently Asked Questions
To fix errors without checking the disk for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click the Start button. To fix errors, find bad sectors and recover readable information, select the Check bad sectors and try to recover check box, and then click the Start button.
- Use System File Checker to fix your hard disk error.
- Run CHKDSK to fix the hard disk problem.
- Use partition management software to check and fix hard drive/disk errors.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows logo key + the R key.
- Then type gpedit.
- Go to Administrative Templates -> System -> Troubleshooting and
- Diagnostics -> Hard Drive Diagnostics.
- Select the Disable checkbox and click OK.
- Reboot your computer.
- Open BIOS.
- Switch to the Boot tab.
- Change the order so that the hard drive appears as the first option.
- Save these settings.
- Reboot your computer.