Many users and subscribers complain about the “Gateway Authentication Failure” error when trying to connect to the Internet using a U-Verse modem. This problem can have many causes, one of the main ones is the configuration of the modem settings.
During the installation and configuration of the modem, the user may have configured the modem incorrectly, for example, by assigning the wrong IP address, making authentication errors, or selecting the wrong gateway, etc. Sometimes these errors can be annoying to the user. Sometimes these errors can be annoying and time-consuming.
If these settings are correct, there could be other causes, what are they and how can they be fixed? Let’s break it down and find out below.
What is the cause of the “Gateway authentication failed” error?
After researching user complaints, we have found that many reasons cause gateway authentication failure.
- If the router configuration is unexpectedly damaged, this problem can occur.
- If the network equipment is faulty, there may be problems with gateway authentication.
How to resolve the “Gateway authentication failed” error?
Reset the modem settings
- Press and hold the reset button on the back of the modem for 35 seconds.
- When the lights start flashing, release the button.
- Make sure the modem is on.
- Resetting the modem also resets any settings stored in the device.
- Try logging back into the residential gateway and see if the situation has improved.
Performing a reset
- Turn off the modem by disconnecting the power supply.
- Then disconnect the Ethernet cable at both ends.
- Wait a few minutes and leave the modem in standby mode for that time.
- Reconnect the cables to the modem and turn it back on.
- Try accessing the gateway again and see if the situation has improved.
Check the cable and the ONT connection
- A gateway authentication error can occur if you did not connect the correct cable to the ONT port.
- Make sure the Ethernet cable is connected to the correct ONT port.
- If you are unsure of the ONT port, refer to the user manual that came with your router/modem.
- Even if the cable is connected to the correct ONT port, make sure it is securely connected.
- Sometimes a loose connection can also cause problems.
- Once connected, try configuring the gateway and see if there is any improvement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Check the Internet connection.
- Check the cable and ONT connection.
- Turn off the router.
- Reset and reconfigure the modem.
- Disconnect the power cable from the back of the gateway or modem.
- Wait 20 seconds.
- Replace the internal battery, if you have one.
- Reconnect the power cable.
- Wait up to 10 minutes for the cable modem or gateway to reboot and for the broadband indicator to turn light green.
A gateway authentication error is one of the most common errors that occur when connecting to the Internet using a U-Verse modem. This error usually indicates an error in the configuration settings. When you try to join a server, you get an error message Minecraft could not authenticate your connection.
Locate the reset button on the back of the apartment gateway, next to the network input. Press and hold the button for 3-4 seconds. Note: Do not press the reset button for more than nine seconds. Otherwise, the outdoor unit may be reset to factory default settings, which means your personal settings will be lost.