If you, as a Microsoft Outlook user, have tried to read, send, receive, or delete an e-mail message and receive the error message: “An unknown error has occurred. 0x80040600 ”occurs due to a damaged or corrupted Outlook PST file. What’s more, you would lose access to all your saved data items such as emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, journals, tasks, etc. Therefore, you need to fix Outlook error 0x80040600. Read on to learn about the methods that you can use to fix this error in order to access the stored data.
Since Outlook error 0x80040600 occurs due to a corrupted or corrupted Outlook PST file, the ways to fix this error is to repair the PST file (Outlook data). Let’s take a closer look at the methods in the next section:
Table of Contents:
Using the Inbox Repair Tool
One of the most common reasons that ultimately causes error 0x80040600 is a mismatch with Outlook (.PST or .OST file). This is an essential email file that stores important information that Outlook needs to sync your files in real time.
If this file is damaged, the mail application you are using (in this case, Outlook) will not be able to communicate with the mail servers.
If this scenario is applicable to your current situation, you should be able to fix the problem by using the Inbox Repair Tool to repair corrupted PST or OST files. Several affected users have confirmed that after following this procedure and restarting their computer, they no longer receive an “Unknown error 0x80040600” error message when trying to send an email or download attachments.
- Make sure Outlook and all related processes are completely closed.
- Follow this link and download the mailbox recovery tool. Wait patiently for the download to complete, then double-click the executable.
- When you get to the first link, click the Advanced hyperlink and make sure the Apply repairs automatically checkbox is selected. Then click Next to continue.
- Run the utility by clicking Next and wait for the process to complete. If a problem is found, the utility will automatically recommend a viable repair strategy.
- In Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool, click Browse and navigate to the folder where you saved the .PST / .OST file.
- After the process completes, restart Outlook and see if the problem is resolved.
Run SCANPST.EXE Inbox Repair Tool.
- Close Outlook.
- Open Windows Explorer and locate scanpst.exe repair tool at this point:
C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Office \% OfficeVersion% \ SCANPST.EXE
- Double click to open SCANPST.EXE.
- Click the Browse button.
- Locate the corrupted Outlook data file (eg Outlook.pst) in this location:
Activate the view of hidden files and folders.
Before continuing to troubleshoot error “0x80040600”, first enable the “Hidden Files” view. Do it:
- Open the Windows Control Panel:
- Open folder options.
- Click the View tab.
- Select this check box to enable the Show hidden files, folders, and drives option.
- Click OK