Microsoft Office error 0x426-0x0 is an error code that appears when one of the programs in the Office suite fails to start. This error is common in Outlook, but can affect other Office applications as well. Error 0x426-0x0 usually occurs when users try to launch Outlook, Excel, Word, or PowerPoint.
It usually takes time to fix this error because the built-in Office recovery feature often doesn’t complete the fixing process.
So if you can’t always rely on the recovery feature, let’s see what else you can do to get rid of the 0x426-0x0 error.
Set Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service to Automatic
If the Microsoft Office push-and-run service is disabled, you won’t be able to launch Office applications. Therefore, you need to set the automatic startup type using Windows services. So:
- Type services in the search box and press Enter.
- In the “Services” window, find the “click and run” service of Microsoft Office and double-click it.
- A separate box will open. From there, use the Startup Type drop-down menu and select Automatic.
- Click the start button.
- Save your changes.
Now launch the Office application. It should be running.
End all Microsoft Office processes by clicking and running (SxS) using the Task Manager
Some older Office-related processes may be running in the background. Such processes can cause problems when installing new versions or updates of Microsoft Office. You can do this by using the Task Manager window and closing these processes.
- Right-click on the taskbar and use Task Manager.
- Click the “Processes” tab in the Task Manager.
- Select the Microsoft Office “click and run” (SxS) process and click the “End Task” button.
You can now try to install or update Microsoft Office.
Since incorrect installation files are one of the causes of the problem, you can fix them to fix the error. For many users, this has been an effective solution.
There are two ways to fix Microsoft Office. You can go through the Control Panel or the Settings app. If your Office installation is based on clicking the Start button, using the Applications and Features section in the Settings app is the right approach.
The following steps will walk you through the process of restoring Office using Settings.
Note that you can use these steps to restore the entire Office suite, not just the program that caused the error.
- Right-click the Windows logo on the taskbar.
- From the menu, select Applications and Features.
- Once the Applications and Features user interface opens, use the search box to navigate to Microsoft Office.
- When you see Microsoft Office, click it, and then click Change.
- Click Yes when the User Account Control button opens.
- A dialog box will now open asking how you want to restore your Office programs.
- Quick Repair uses a standalone utility on your system to find and fix common problems. If that doesn’t solve the problem, run the online repair.
- Make sure you have a stable and reliable Internet connection before performing an online repair.
If your Microsoft Office is MSI-based, you will see a “Change installation” dialog box instead. If so, click “Restore.”
Once the process is complete, reboot your system and see if the error persists.
To use the control panel, do the following:
- Run the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows and R keyboard keys at the same time.
- When Run opens, type “Control Panel” (without the quotes) in the text box and press Enter.
- When the “Control Panel” window appears, under “Programs” click “Uninstall Program”.
- The Applications and Components window opens.
- Then find Microsoft Office, right-click it and select “Change”.
- In the dialog box that appears, click “Restore” and follow the instructions below to complete the process.
We hope that error 0x426-0x0 is now historical and that you can use your Office 365 applications without issue.