After a clean installation of Windows 10, you may encounter some driver-related errors due to driver incompatibility. One such error is the Windows 10 update error 0x80240061.
This error can occur for a variety of reasons, including incompatible drivers as well as problems with Windows updates. Similar problems are also reported on the Microsoft community forum.
If you are also facing this error, here are some troubleshooting tips to help you fix Windows 10 Update error 0x80240061.
What is the cause of Windows 10 Update Error 0x80240061?
- Windows Update Error: In some cases, the problem is due to a temporary glitch that can be fixed relatively easily by running the Windows Update troubleshooter to check for common inconsistencies that can cause updates to fail.
- WU can’t find the latest version: As some concerned users report, Windows Update can’t always find the latest version available for the Intel Management Engine Interface. In this case, you can solve the problem by installing it manually (either with Driver and Support Assistant or by installing the driver version yourself).
- Incompatible driver: One of the most common causes of this error is a scenario where the WU component keeps trying to install the Intel Management Engine interface driver, even though it is actually incompatible with the current hardware. In this case, you can solve the problem by hiding the incompatible driver.
How to fix Windows 10 update error 0x80240061?
Launch SFC Scan
SFC Scan is a command-line tool that scans your computer for corrupt files and restores them.
- Click the Start button and type cmd in the search bar.
- Then right-click on “Command Prompt” in the search results and select “Run as administrator”.
- In the command prompt window that appears, type the following command and press Enter:
sfc / Scan Now.
- Run the scanner. Then restart your computer and check if the update error 0x80240061 persists.
Perform the DISM scan
Here’s another command-line tool you can run to resolve the Windows 10 update issue.
- Open the command line in administrator mode as described above.
- In the command line window, type the following command and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
- The DISM scan may take some time, so wait for it to complete.
- Then reboot your computer.
Updating the Intel Control Engine Interface Driver
You can update the Intel Management Engine Interface driver on your computer to get rid of the 0x80240061 update error on Windows 10.
- Press Win + X on your keyboard and select “Device Manager” from the menu that opens.
- When Device Manager opens, select “System Devices” in the device list, then right-click on the Intel(R) Management Engine interface in the menu and select “Update Driver” from the menu.
- On the next screen, select “Automatically check for latest driver software”.
- When an updated driver version is found, the update process starts.
- After the update, restart your computer. Now check if the problem has been resolved.
Launch the Troubleshooter when you update Windows
Windows Troubleshooter is a built-in tool for detecting and solving various problems that may occur on your PC. One of the diagnostic tools is Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Press Win + I to open the Settings app in Windows.
- In the Settings app, select Update and Security.
- In the new window on the left, select Troubleshooter.
- Then select Windows Update in the right pane and click Run Troubleshooter.
- Now let the troubleshooter investigate any problems.
- If the problem is detected, the Troubleshooter will try to fix it itself.
- After the Troubleshooter finishes analyzing and fixing the problem, restart your computer and try updating Windows.
Make sure the Windows Update service is running
One of the Windows services called Windows Update is responsible for updating the operating system. You need to make sure that this service is running. Do the following:
- Press Win + R to open the Run window. Type services.msc and click Ok.
- The Services window will open. Scroll down the list of services and find Windows Update.
- Right-click on the service and click Run. If the service is already running, click Restart.
- Then close the Services window and try updating Windows again.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Apply Windows 10 updates.
- Update the drivers.
- Uninstall the drivers and reinstall them manually.
- Run a system scan.
- Update your BIOS.
Intel Management Engine is an embedded microcontroller (built into some Intel chipsets) that runs a lightweight operating system microkernel that provides various functions and services to computer systems equipped with Intel processors.
- Make sure you have enough memory on your device.
- Run Windows update several times.
- Check for third-party drivers and download any updates.
- Turn off any extra hardware.
- Check the Device Manager for errors.
- Uninstall third-party security programs.
- Fix hard drive errors.
- Perform a full Windows reboot.
This is an advanced remote computer management system created by Intel. If you do not know what it is, you do not need it. It can also be used by monitoring and overclocking programs (mainly motherboard manufacturers) to modify and monitor the ECU ("Bios") directly from Windows.