Discord is one of the most popular VOIP and instant messaging apps, and if you can’t mute Discord, it defeats the whole purpose of communicating using the VIOP app. Many people have recently reported a bug saying that they can’t mute Discord in their browser.
Unfortunately, the Discord support team has not yet provided any solutions. Fortunately, some users have been able to find a workaround to fix this error and mute the sound.
Why can’t Discord mute the browser?
- Outdated web browser.
- Incorrect website settings.
- You may have muted yourself.
- Your microphone may be muted.
- Incorrect settings for your audio input device.
- Choosing the wrong output device also causes this problem.
- If you are using Push-to-Talk, you will encounter this problem.
How to solve the Discord can’t unmute browser problem?
Inspect your microphone access
- Press Win + I to open the Settings window, then select Privacy.
- Select Microphone on the left and make sure the Allow apps to access your microphone option is enabled.
- Scroll down to Choose applications that can access your microphone section and select
- Discord from the list of applications.
- Then restart your computer.
Check your site settings
- Open your browser and click on the Settings icon in the upper right corner.
- If you’re using Google Chrome, click the three-dot icon and select Settings.
- Go to Privacy and Security and click Site Settings.
- Select Microphone, then find Discord in the drop-down menu and delete it by clicking the Trash button.
- Go to Discord, disable the microphone, and click Allow when prompted.
Using the correct output device
- Open Discord and click the Settings icon next to your username.
- Select the Language and Video tab on the left and scroll down to the Output Device section on the right sidebar.
- Select the desired device from the drop-down menu and make sure the output volume is set above 0.
- Then restart the Discord program.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the wrong device is selected in the Discord settings, your friends will not be able to hear you. To check which device is selected, go to User Settings, select the "Language & Video" tab and then make sure the correct output device is selected.
- Select Microphone on the left side and make sure the Allow apps to access your microphone option is enabled.
- Scroll down to Choose apps that can access your microphone section and select Discord from the list of apps.
- Then restart your computer and check that Discord cannot mute.
Click on the Cookies option, then select Discord.com from the list of sites and click on Delete. Select Discord and click on the Delete option. Open Discord again in your normal browser window and you can turn off the microphone.