Depending on your Windows settings, the volume of applications or games running during a Skype call will be automatically reduced by 50%. In some cases, the volume setting will not reset to its previous level when the call ends, which can be very annoying.
This happens because Windows recognizes incoming Skype calls as a communication activity. If you prefer to keep the volume unchanged during a Skype session, adjust the settings on the Communication tab of the Windows sound properties.
In this post, IR Cache shows you how to adjust the settings so that Skype doesn’t lower the volume of other applications in Windows 10.
Why does Skype Lower the Volume of Other Sounds?
Sound systems have advanced features that allow apps to take exclusive control over them to change or manipulate volume. This feature may seem handy, but Skype has been known to automatically lower the volume of other apps when you use it.
How to Solve the Problem of Skype Lowering the Volume of Other Sounds
Change the sound setting
By following the steps below, you can disable the feature that reduces the volume of other channels when a VoIP call is detected.
- Click on the Start button on Windows 10, and then search for Control Panel.
- Open this application from the search results.
- In the Control Panel window, click on the Hardware and Sound option, and then click on the Sound option if you are in Category view.
- However, if you are in icon view, click directly on the Sound option.
- In the Sound window, click the Communication tab and check the Do Nothing option.
- Then click Apply, and then click OK to save your changes.
By following the steps above, you will be able to prevent the volume of other sounds in Skype on Windows 10 computers from decreasing.
However, if you find this feature useful and just want to reduce the intensity, you can check the option to Decrease the volume of other sounds by 50%.
Check the system sound settings
If the system sound volume is not set to 100 and you manually decrease the volume of your speakers or headphones, some system sounds may become inaudible.
- Go to Settings > System and select Sound.
- Then go to Advanced Sound settings.
- Select “Application volume” and “Device settings”.
- Make sure that the system sound volume is set to 100.
Frequently Asked Questions
Select the "Do nothing" option to prevent other sounds on your computer from being muted during a Skype call.
- If you're using Windows 7 or Windows 10, locate the sound icon on the taskbar (represented by the speaker icon) and right-click it.
- On the pop-up menu that appears, click Sounds.
- Click the Communication tab.
- Simply launch Control Panel or Settings (depending on your version of Windows) and open the Sound Setup dialog box.
- In the Sound Setup window, click the Communication tab.
- Click "OK" to finish.
- Select your profile picture.
- Select Settings.
- Select Audio and video.
- From here, you can adjust your audio and video settings.