The background process RAVBg64.exe (ravbg64.exe) is part of the Realtek software which allows users to connect communication applications (for example Skype) to Realtek sound controllers and ensure proper communication between the audio drivers and the communication applications. If you are reading this, you probably noticed that RAVBg64.exe causes significant CPU usage.
Under normal circumstances, RAVBg64.exe should not cause high CPU (or memory) utilization. However, many users report high CPU utilization from RAVBg64.exe and wonder if this problem can be fixed. The good news is that it is possible, and in this guide, we will show you how.
What causes RAVBg64.exe to have a high CPU load?
- Incorrect registry key
- Outdated or incompatible driver
How to solve the high CPU load problem with RAVBg64.exe?
Uninstall and update your Realtek audio drivers
- Press the Windows Logo + X key on your keyboard to display the WinX menu.
- Find Device Manager in the list and click on it.
- Scroll down to “Sound, Video and Game Controllers” and expand it.
- Right-click on “Realtek High Definition Audio”.
- Select the Uninstall option from the pop-up menu.
- Click OK when prompted to confirm.
- Close all the windows and reboot the system.
- Now open the Device Manager as described in steps 1 and 2.
- Click on the Action that appears in the toolbar at the top of the window.
- Click on “Check for hardware changes”.
- Wait for the operation to complete. The system will detect the missing Realtek driver.
- Then click Install Driver to automatically install the latest version.
Disable and enable Realtek audio software
- Go to the Start menu.
- Type Device Manager in the search box and click the option in the list of results.
- Scroll down and find the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers category.
- Expand the category.
- Right-click on the Realtek audio device. Click Disable on the context menu.
Frequently Asked Questions
Update the Realtek audio driver. If you don't have the time, patience or computer skills to update the Realtek audio driver manually, you can do it automatically with a third-party driver update tool.
Ravbg64.exe is a process that is part of the Realtek high-resolution audio codecs or Realtek driver. In general, you should not stop it because Realtek HD Audio is a tool that helps you manage sound on your PC. Usually, ravbg64.exe runs in the background and does not consume much processing power or memory.
The problem may be caused by faulty Realtek audio drivers. To solve the problem with ravbg64.exe high CPU load, you can try to update your Realtek audio driver.