There is nothing more frustrating than encountering error code 0x8b050066 with your console. After all, don’t you want to start a game without such problems? But error codes appear from time to time, usually due to problems beyond your control. It could be a problem with Xbox Live, a problem with the server of the game in question, or a problem with the console itself.
We’ve broken down the Xbox One error code on the Xbox One console below, as well as solutions on how to mitigate it when it’s available. If you have a serious problem, you can always contact Xbox Live Support for further assistance. However, follow the steps below to see if the problem can be resolved in the first place.
If you are concerned about the error code, here are some troubleshooting tips to help you fix error 0x8b050066 on Xbox One.
What’s the cause of the Xbox One error code 0x8b050066
We investigated this particular error code by reviewing various user reports and trying different fix strategies recommended by other affected users who have already been able to fix the problem. It turns out that several repair strategies have been known to result in this behavior. Here is a shortlist of culprits that may be responsible for error 0x8b050066:
- Xbox server problem: It turns out that this particular error message could be due to a problem with Microsoft’s server that is out of your control. In the event of a DDoS attack or routine maintenance, your console may send this particular error code because it can’t validate the installation. In this case, the only acceptable solution is to switch the console to offline mode and reinstall. If that doesn’t work, you’ll have to wait for Microsoft technicians to fix the problem.
- Firmware or software error: As many users have reported, this problem can also occur due to a firmware or software error that affects the installation phase. If this is the case, you can solve the problem by turning the console off and on again, which will discharge the power capacitors.
- Damage to the operating system: In the most severe cases, the operating system may be damaged and cannot be restored in the usual way. This usually occurs after the console is turned off unexpectedly (most likely when the console was installing something). In this case, you should be able to fix the problem by performing a factory reset.
If you are currently experiencing error 0x8b050066 on your Xbox One console and are looking for a solution that will allow you to install and play the game, you will find several diagnostic steps in this article. Below is a set of possible solutions that other users have successfully used in a similar situation to fix the 0x8b050066 error.
If you want to proceed as efficiently as possible, we recommend that you follow the instructions below in the same order as we have arranged them. In the end, you’ll come across a solution that solves the problem, regardless of the cause.
To fix Xbox One error code 0x8b050066
Install the game offline
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the Guide menu.
- From the menu, go to Settings -> System -> Preferences.
- From the Settings menu, select Network.
- From the Network menu, open Network Settings.
- Select the “Go offline” option. This will bring your Xbox One console into offline mode.
- Try installing the game and see if there are any improvements.
Uninstall and reinstall the game
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide.
- Select the My Games and Apps option, then select Show All.
- Select Games or Apps.
- Highlight the game you want to delete and press the menu button.
- Select Delete. Select Delete All to confirm the action.
- This will delete the selected application or game.
- Insert the game disc and reinstall the game.
- Once the installation is complete, run the game and check for enhancements.
Reset Xbox One
- Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the instructions.
- Go to System -> Settings -> System and select Console Info.
- Select Reset Console.
- Select Reset and Kepp my games and apps. This will reset the operating system and erase potentially corrupted data without deleting games and apps.
- After the reset, try installing the game and see if there are any improvements.
Check the status of the Xbox Live service
- Before you try any other troubleshooting tips, make sure the Xbox Live service is running.
- You can check the status of Xbox Live services on the official website.
- Wait for the service status page to load.
- Under Services, check to see if any of the services are disabled for maintenance.
- Scroll down to the Games and Apps section.
- Check to see if there have been any game crash reports.
- If there are failure messages, wait for the service to work and then try again.
Perform a reboot
- Make sure the Xbox One is turned on.
- Press and hold the Xbox button on the console. Press and hold the button for about 10 seconds.
- Release the button when the LEDs stop flashing.
- After turning off the Xbox One, leave it in standby mode for a few minutes.
- Disconnect all cables connected to the console, including the HDMI cable and power cable.
- After a few minutes, reconnect all cables to the console.
- Press the Xbox button again to turn the console on.
- Once the console is fully powered on, try installing the game that caused the error and see if there is any improvement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Press and hold the Xbox button on the controller.
- Select Shut down the console or Restart the console -> Restart.
- Try updating again.
Error 0x8027025A can mean anything from a temporary problem with the Xbox Live service preventing your Xbox from logging in or launching the Xbox One app, to a login problem with your profile, to an Xbox One app that you tried to open not launching at the expected time.
This could mean that there is a problem with the Xbox Live service or that your Xbox has encountered an unexpected error.
After the initial setup, your Xbox will automatically update itself. You will need a wired or wireless Internet connection to do this. If you have a game disc, you can install it without an Internet connection. When you connect, the game detects it and syncs the data.