VLC Media Player is one of the most popular media players on the Windows platform. However, you may encounter the following problem: “This Blu-ray Disc needs the AACS decoding library and your system does not have it. Now read this article for a possible solution.
When trying to play a Blu-ray Disc using the VLC media player, some users get the error message “This Blu-ray Disc requires an AACS decoding library”. If the media player cannot find the library files needed to play the contents of the disc, an AACS decoding error occurs. This problem can be seen on Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. In addition, the error message has been reported in several versions of VLC.
What is the cause of the “This Blu-ray Disc requires an AACS decoding library” error
We investigated this by looking at some methods that other users in a similar situation have successfully used to fix the error message. As we discovered, there are several common scenarios that trigger this particular error message:
- Blu-ray Disc is protected by AACS and BD+ technologies: today, most commercial Blu-ray discs are protected by AACS and BD+ technologies. For this reason, the standard libbluray library is not sufficient to play these discs. In this scenario, the solution is to install libaacs.
- KeyDB.cfg file missing: Another common reason why blue-beam reading fails is that your computer is missing a KeyDB.cfg file. This file is required by the libaacs library.
This Blu-ray disc requires the library for an AACS decoding error, which occurs when the player cannot find the necessary library files to play the contents of the disc.
If you are having trouble resolving this particular error message, this article provides some steps that other users in a similar situation have used successfully to resolve the problem.
How to fix the “This Blu-ray Disc requires an AACS decoding library
Add library files to AACS
The following steps require you to download the file from a third-party website. Your browser may display them as unprotected. We have analyzed the files and found them safe to use.
However, because it is an unsigned file, the URL and file will be considered unsafe by both your browser and your computer. Download the file at your own risk.
- Visit their website.
- Type the URL in the address bar and press Enter.
- You may see a warning that the website does not have an SSL certificate.
- Click the following link if you want to continue.
- In the Key Database section, click on the Get File link.
- Here you can download the KeyDB.cfg file.
- Next, in the Dynamic AACS Library section, click the hyperlink to the file associated with your version of VLC Media Player.
- Once the download is complete, copy the KEYDB.cfg file.
- Press the Windows + R key to open Run.
- Enter %Appdata% and click OK.
- In the Roaming folder, click on the New Folder icon at the top.
- Rename the folder to aacs.
- Open the aacs folder you just created and paste the KEYDB.cfg file you copied in step 5.
Add the libaacs.dll into the installation folder
- Now open your download folder and copy the libaacs.dll file to the clipboard.
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
- Paste the copied libaacs.dll file into your VLC folder.
- Then run VLC Media Player and try playing the Blu-ray disc that caused the “Blu-ray disc requires AACS decoding library” error earlier.
After copying the necessary library files to the correct folder, VLC Media Player should play the Blu-ray disc without errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
Go to the download folder and copy the libaacs.dll file to the clipboard. Open VLC and open the Blu-ray disc that failed with the message "This Blu-ray disc requires an AACS decoding library. You should now be able to play Blu-ray videos normally.
Just go to your C drive and look for "Video LAN -> VLC" in the 32-bit program files. Then paste or drag the AACS dynamic library file into that folder. Launch VLC and click the "Media" button, then select the "Open Media" option. Click on "Disc" and check the "Blu-ray" option in the popup window, then click the "Play" button.
This Blu-ray disc requires a bd+ decoding library and your system does not have one. This Blu-ray disc needs an aacs decoding library and your system does not have one.
- Install MakeMKV. Install MakeMKV like any other program and run it.
- Insert the disc and rip it.
- Compress your video (optional)