Xbox is a brand of game consoles developed and owned by Microsoft. The game console can be connected to a TV or other display device. Xbox provides realistic graphics for games. With the Xbox online gaming service, Microsoft was able to gain an early foothold in the online gaming market and become a strong competitor to other gaming consoles. The Xbox line of consoles includes the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.
If your Xbox One isn’t connecting to Xbox Live, don’t worry. There are solutions to help you solve your Xbox connection problem. Just try one at a time until your problem is solved.
What is causing the Xbox One “Additional authentication required” error
Note that this type of Xbox One error may also be encouraged by your router if you have previously set up a network lock. In this case, you will need to go into your router settings and disable access control or remove the Xbox console from the list of blocked devices.
If the “Additional Authentication Required” error is caused by a local mismatch, you can force the Xbox One system to clear all temporary data by forcing it to shut down during a test connection or by turning off the power.
Finally, if nothing else works, you should contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to find out if you have a security breach or, a contract that caused them to restrict your network.
How to fix the Xbox One error “Additional authentication required
Reset your Xbox One and your modem
Sometimes a hard reset can help fix strange problems.
A complete reset of the Xbox One controller and modem allows many users to fix the “Xbox One will not connect to Xbox Live” error. So feel free to give it a try.
To reset your Xbox One
- Press and hold the Xbox logo on the console until the console turns off.
- Wait and then turn the console back on by pressing the same Xbox button on the console.
To reset the modem
- Press and hold the reset button on the modem with a pen or stylus for 30 seconds. Note: You should see the power light flash.
- Release your hands and wait until the power light comes on. Now try to see if your Xbox One can connect to Xbox Live.
Change the IP and DNS settings on Xbox Live
The IP and DNS settings can also affect the connection between your Xbox One and Xbox Live. Follow these steps to fix them.
- Click on the “Settings” icon on the left side of your Xbox Live. Then click on “All Settings.”
- Click on Network. Then, on the right side of the page, select Network Settings.
- Then click on the “Advanced Settings” button.
- Click on IP Settings and set it to Automatic.
- Now we need to go back to the advanced settings. This time click the DNS Settings button and set it to Automatic.
Now try to connect your Xbox One to the Xbox Live.
Check the services connected to the Xbox Live
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo keys + the R key to bring up the Run dialog box.
- Type services.MSc in the box and click OK.
- In the Services window that opens, scroll down. Find the Xbox Live network service and right-click it. Then select Properties.
- Under General, in the drop-down menu, set the startup type to Automatic. Then click Apply -> OK to save the settings.
- Now in the Services window, right-click on Xbox Live Networking Service again. This time, select Start. Note: If the Start option is grayed out, select Restart.
Make the same settings for Xbox Live Auth Manager and Xbox Live Game Save by following the same steps above. These are usually listed next to the Xbox Live Networking Service.
Frequently Asked Questions
A reason for the "Additional Authentication Required" error could be your router if you have previously enabled network blocking. If this is the case, you need to go into your router settings and disable access control or remove your Xbox console from the list of blocked devices.
- Open the Xbox One settings.
- Under Console, select Network.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- Select Alternate MAC Address.
- Enter your alternate MAC address and press Enter.
- You must restart the console for the change to take effect.
- Turn on your Xbox console.
- Go to "Settings" and select "Network."
- Go to "Wireless Network Setup" and select "Connect to New Network."
- Find the name of the hotel WiFi network and select "Connect.
- Enter your network password when prompted.
When connecting to the Wi-Fi, check One to make sure that you are using the correct Wi-Fi password. If the password is correct and your Xbox One still won't connect, try moving your Xbox One console closer to the router or removing items that may be blocking the signal.