There are many reasons why OneNote notebooks can’t sync. Because OneNote stores notebooks in the cloud using OneDrive, you may have problems connecting to the Internet, delays when working on a notebook with multiple people, and delays when working on the same notebook from different devices. Here’s what you can do if OneNote doesn’t sync.
Note: The instructions in this article apply to OneNote for Windows 10, OneNote for Microsoft 365, and OneNote 2019.
Before you start troubleshooting OneNote sync errors, make sure the app is up to date by installing the latest OneNote or Office update. And if you use multiple Microsoft, business, or school accounts with OneNote, make sure you use the account associated with OneNote. To avoid future syncing problems, keep OneNote up to date and follow OneNote syncing best practices.
Why doesn’t OneNote sync
Actually, there are many reasons why OneNote doesn’t sync. OneNote stores notebooks or files in the cloud using OneDrive. So you may have problems with your Internet connection, delays when working on your notebook with multiple people, or other reasons. The following section briefly discusses some of these.
- Internet connection.
- An outdated version of OneNote.
- Not enough disk space.
- Server error.
- Service unavailable.
- Swapped sections in OneNote.
- And other reasons.
But whatever the reason, do you know how to solve the problem of OneNote not syncing? In the next section, we’ll show you how to fix the “OneNote notebook not synced” problem with detailed instructions.
How to fix OneNote Notebook out of sync problem
Checking your laptop on the Internet
You can quickly find out if there’s a maintenance problem by trying to open your notebook using a web browser.
- In OneNote, click on File and select About.
- On the right side of the page, right-click the link and click Copy (or right-click Notepad and choose Copy Link to Notepad).
- Open your web browser.
- Right-click the link, paste it into the address bar and press Enter to open Notepad.
If you followed all the steps and Notepad opens in your browser, there may be a problem with your desktop client.
Restart your laptop
If the problem is with the application, reopening your notebook probably solves the synchronization problem.
- In OneNote, click File and select About.
- Click Settings and choose Close (or right-click Notepad and choose Close Notepad).
- Click File and choose Open.
- Click on the notebook you want to open.
When all the steps are complete, the connection will be reset and your notebook should sync again.
Checking Sync Status
If you can open the online notebook but the changes aren’t showing up, you need to check the sync status to find the specific error and fix the problem.
- In OneNote, click the File button and select About.
- Click View Sync Status (or right-click Notepad and select Notepad Sync Status.
- If available, click the Get Help button to access additional troubleshooting steps for the specific problem.
If you don’t see the button, you’ll need to flag the error or message and look it up online. Don’t forget that you can always use the Windows Central forums to find answers to software problems.
It is important that you keep OneNote open and connected in such a scenario. Otherwise, you might lose your changes.
Checking the status of the service
If you can’t open Notepad from a web browser, there may be a problem with the OneDrive service. You can use a web browser to quickly check the status of the service. If OneDrive is not working, you can contact Microsoft support for help.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Exit OneNote and then return. On the menu bar, click OneNote -> Logout.
- Close the notebook, then open it again. On the menu bar, click File -> Close Notebook.
There are a few steps you can take to avoid OneNote syncing problems on your mobile device: Check and make sure that OneNote is running on the front end. Log in to OneNote from time to time to reset your credentials and avoid authentication issues. Force OneNote to sync.
- Click File -> About -> View sync status.
- In the Sync Shared Notebook dialog box that opens, do one of the following: Click Sync All to synchronize all shared notebooks. Click Sync Now next to the specific notebook you want to sync.
- Open the Settings app and go to Apps.
- You'll see a list of installed apps.
- Select OneNote from the list and click More Options.
- Now click on the "Reset" button.
- A confirmation dialog box will appear. Click the Reset button again to confirm.