Hades is a roguelike RPG for Windows, macOS, and Nintendo Switch. The game was released in early access in December 2018, but the official full release was on September 17, 2020. Because the game was released in early access, it also had many glitches.
Hades’ developers remained active throughout the adventure, responding to user feedback via a companion server on Discord and a subreddit on Reddit. The solutions offered here at IR Cache were also provided directly by Hades’ developers. Other solutions came from users who followed other instructions provided by the developers to fix the constant crashing of Hades on PC.
What Causes the Hades Game to Keep Crashing on PC
Low system specs: most PC games are CPU and GPU-demanding, and Hades is no exception. This means that you will need a powerful system to play the game. Otherwise, the game may fail to launch or, worse, crash during the game.
Outdated or faulty drivers: If your video card driver is outdated, missing, or corrupt, the game and other applications may not work as expected. To solve this problem, you need to update your graphics driver.
Incorrect game installation: If the game files were not loaded correctly, the game may not work as expected. It’s also possible that your antivirus program accidentally deleted some game files, preventing a proper installation. You should also check if you have enough hard drive space to install the game.
How to Troubleshoot Constant Crashing of Hades on PC
Check your game files
Game crashes can indicate a problem with the integrity of the game files. In this case, it is possible that the game crashes while playing a certain mode or scene.
To analyze and recover missing files, you can do the following:
- Go to your Steam library and right-click on Hades, then select Properties.
- In the Properties window, click the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click on the VIEW PLAY FILES FOR INTEGRATION button.
- Wait for the verification to complete.
- After you have checked the integrity of the game files, run Hades and see if it crashes again.
Disabling in-game overlays
In-game overlays allow you to unlock achievements, give commands, and communicate with friends while playing the game. Sounds convenient, right? But there are also reports that in-game overlays can cause the game to crash. So if you use in-game overlays such as Steam, Discord, and NVIDIA GeForce Experience, you can try disabling them to see if the crashes stop.
- Open the Steam client. Click on Steam in the upper left corner and select Settings.
- Select In-Game from the menu on the left. Under Steam Overlay, uncheck the 3 boxes.
- Then click OK.
- You can now launch Hades and test your gameplay.
Update the graphics driver
One of the most common causes of crashes is faulty or outdated graphics drivers. If you haven’t updated or installed a graphics driver in a while, you should definitely do so now, as this may be the solution to the crashing problem.
Graphics processor manufacturers often update their drivers to quickly adapt to the rapidly changing gaming market. Updates usually include bug fixes, performance and compatibility improvements that can prevent your game from crashing to some extent.
Update the graphics driver manually
To update your graphics driver manually, first visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website:
Then find your graphics card model. Make sure that you have selected the latest and correct driver installer for your operating system.
Automatic graphics driver updates
If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update graphics drivers manually, you can do it automatically with a third-party update program. It will automatically detect your system and find the correct drivers for your exact video card and version of Windows, download and install them correctly.
Run Hades as an administrator
Some players have reported that they were able to solve the problem of crashes and black screens by running the game as administrators. You might try doing the same, as this can fix your crash in no time.
- Go to your Steam library. Right-click on Aida and select properties.
- Click the LOCAL FILES tab and select FIND LOCAL FILES.
- Right-click on Hades.exe and select Run as administrator.
- If yes, go to the next step to always run Hades as administrator. Otherwise, go to the next solution.
- Right-click on Hades.exe and select Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab.
- Under Settings, select the Run this program as administrator checkbox.
- Then click on the OK button.
Perform a restart
Sometimes a game can fail due to software conflicts. You can try to eliminate the culprit by performing a restart that starts Windows with only basic drivers and startup programs.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to bring up the Run window.
- Type MSConfig and press OK.
- Click the Services tab.
- Check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services.
- Look for services that do NOT belong to your video or sound card manufacturer, such as NVIDIA, AMD, Realtek, and Intel.
- Uncheck these services and click OK.
- Restart your computer and test your game in Hades.
Frequently Asked Questions
The first reason the game crashes may be that you don't have administrator rights. Right-click on the game and select "Run the game as administrator". If that doesn't work, try playing the game with an account that has administrator privileges.
- Install the latest drivers.
- Install the correct software.
- Make sure your computer is not overheating.
- Disable background programs.
- Turn off the built-in sound device.
- Check for malware.
- Check your hardware.
When you play a game, your GPU is under a lot of stress and generates more heat. Overheating causes instability and crashes. Check your system for airflow issues, make sure your GPU fans are running, and remove dust with compressed air. If it's not heating, the next likely cause that comes to mind is electricity.
- Disable the overlays in the game.
- Run Hades as administrator.
- Check the game files.
- Update the graphics driver.
- Stop overclocking.
- Perform a reboot.
- Temporarily disable anti-virus software.